Category Archives: Submissions
So I think that’s me finished this piece! I’ve put it to my peers for review and we’ll see what they say but I can’t see much issue. I’m really happy with how this has turned out. The conflict between the two characters is clearly evident and , in my opinion, it is easy to see that Motoya is the protagonist. Having her between Dags and the viewer makes it look like she is defending them and shows she is on our side. Dags’ looming figure strikes and intimidating pose too.
Having the spear head and ice fist so close makes the image a bit heavy on that side but I don’t think it pulls too much attention away from the characters.
I added a faint dust cloud to add atmosphere and help show the dryness of the environment without making it too busy, also placing it between them helps to separate Motoya’s head from Dags’ fist.
Hopefully this will be my last blog post, unless someone points out a catastrophic error I somehow cannot notice.
That’s the pose sheets completed now, although they are a bit Frankenstein in places to save time.
I’m very pleased with the dynamic pose of Dags charging. The perspective is a little off on one of the feet, but with details approaching I’m more concerned with finishing the Promo Art than fixing that just now. It is not to noticeable anyway, attention is drawn mostly to the top half of the character and away from the feet. I had more issues with perspective on the crouched pose as well. I wanted the ice arm to be angling away from the viewer but the shape of the ice makes it hard to read as such.
I do feel as though I have captured Dags character and stature well however, the way he leans towards his opponent and the general aggression emanating from the poses shows that he is large, intimidating, and not to be trifled with.
One of the issues I had with perspective in Motoya’s poses was the spear in the crouched pose, although again I don’t think it is cause for too much concern or all that noticeable. More annoying is her back leg, it was tricky to arrange with the cloth covering it. I do like the crouch pose as a whole and feel it shows a lot about Motoya as a character, stubborn and resourceful. I really like the dynamic flow in her thrusting pose also. The distribution of weight and flow in the fabric give a good sense of the speed and ferocity in the attack. Its a shame the spear is so big, there is a fair bit more empty space in this sheet than with Dags’, but there’s not much that can be done about that.
If I get the chance I intend to come back to these and neaten up the rendering, as it is not quite to scratch with the Painted Sheet, but again deadlines are looming and the Promo Art now takes priority.
After talking to Ryan and getting some feedback I have decided to redesign the Character Sheets. Making the characters bigger has allowed for more of their detail to be seen and generally makes the sheets easier to read. Although I lose one of the side views I don’t think this hinders the sheets too much as you can still see the shape of the character from the side and also how they hold themselves.
I also added more tonal variation to Motoya’s robes and it really helps to keep the eye on her upper half where all the details are.The Line Sheets and Visual Interest Sheets have been redesigned to match this new layout.
Finished the Protagonist (named Motoya Zua) now as well. I am much happier with this colour scheme than I was with the one before. The stripes help to add some visual interest without being too distracting. Ashley Wood’s use of colour is again present with the bright red of her scarf and face paint.
I think the gradient is a bit lost in her robes and they might need a bit more tonal variation, but I am going to leave it a bit to clear my head and then come back to it.
I struggled a bit more with the pull outs with this character since I didnt really have her story as refined in my head but I think its fine.
So I fell a bit behind but I think I’m still ok. I have now finished the Painted Character Sheet for my Antagonist (now named Dags Tormur), complete with pull outs and descriptions. I’m really happy with how it turned out, especially in terms of emulating Ashley Wood’s use of colour. The bold colours of the ice block and face mask immediately stand out from the rest of the character and make the character very dynamic. I feel I have managed to maintain the gradient up the character as well and ensure focus is placed on his upper body and head.
My Visual Interest Design Sheets are also complete. I debated between having the line-art over the top of these but in the end went for just the grey-scale shapes as this better shows the layout of tones. The line-art worked to break up the model into details and hid the comparisons of values.
I think the gradient effect works really well. especially with the Antagonist and ensures that the eyes are pulled to any uninteresting places like the feet. It might need a bit more work on the Protagonist but for now I think it is ok.
Again I may fiddle with the layout of the sheets, but for now I’m leaving them as they are while I see to more important matters.
The Line Art Model Sheets are now finished for the most part. The only thing left for debate is the general layout of everything.
I think the inspiration taken from Bob Rafei is noticeable, especially in the triangular build of each characters’ torso. However due to her outfit the hourglass figure is lost a little bit in the Protagonist’s robes. Her face is still very in keeping with Rafei’s style however.
His style is definitely present in the Antagonist however, with his broad shoulders and narrow waists creating an intimidating character.
The main focus would be to reduce the amount of empty space and ensure the sheets are easy to read. But for now I am going to put my efforts towards the other submissions and get them done before I fiddle with such details.